Careers in CBT

Qualified CBT therapists can work in a number of settings and may progress to other areas of work as their career develops. You don't have to be accredited with us in order to work as a CBT practitioner either in an institution or privately, however, for many employers accreditation is required for job applications.

Clinician- this could mean doing individual and/or group therapy and settings could include:

  • NHS Talking Therapies (formerly IAPT) service 
  • NHS community mental health teams
  • psychology/psychotherapy departments
  • forensic services in prisons
  • specialist NHS departments like eating disorders, psychosis, chronic fatigue
  • within organisations such as the Police or Fire Service
  • private hospitals - inpatient and outpatient
  • individual private practice

Supervisor – established therapists can go on to supervise other therapists in a number of settings. 

Academic and/or trainer – experienced practitioners may move on to teach, research and publish in universities or other training or healthcare settings.

  • Many practitioners work in combinations of these roles

Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners (PWPs) deliver certain cognitive and behavioural strategies called Low Intensity interventions within NHS Talking Therapies services. They have a different qualification to CBT therapists. 

  • We launched registration for PWPs during 2021. You can find out more here.

Information about the roles of CWPs and EMHPs, entry requirements and other information about the CWP and EMHP training be found here:

CWP Children's Wellbeing Practitioner | Health Careers

EMHP Education Mental Health Practitioner | Health Careers

0330 320 0851
Registered office
Imperial House, Hornby Street, Bury, Lancashire  BL9 5BN
Privacy Notice
Privacy Policy
0330 320 0851
Registered charity No. 1098704   A company limited by guarantee No. 4839948   Registered in England and Wales   VAT reg No. 732 5316 53