BABCP | British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies > Accreditation > Practitioner Accreditation > Practitioner Accreditation FAQs > What if I trained abroad?

What if I trained abroad?

You must be living and working in the UK, its territories or Ireland to become accredited, however you can apply for accreditation if you meet the criteria through overseas training.

A background in mental health abroad

Prior to your CBT training, you must have a BABCP recognised professional background in mental health. 

We call this a core profession. It's fine if this training and experience was in another country as long as you can provide evidence of your qualification, translated into English if necessary.

However you must be be registered or accredited with one of the relevant named UK bodies - we can't accept registration or accreditation in another country.

Alternatively, If you don't meet Core Profession criteria for one of these, you can demonstrate your mental health background in a KSA portfolio.

Overseas CBT training

If you completed your post-graduate CBT training abroad, you should follow the guidance in What if I completed a non-accredited course?  Please make sure that any documents you submit with an accreditation application are translated into English if necessary.

Living abroad after accreditation

Please seeCan I be accredited if I live or work abroad?

0330 320 0851
Registered office
Minerva House, Hornby Street, Bury, Lancashire  BL9 5BN
Privacy Notice
Privacy Policy
0330 320 0851
Registered charity No. 1098704   A company limited by guarantee No. 4839948   Registered in England and Wales   VAT reg No. 732 5316 53